Are my Silicone utensils food safe?
- Silicone cookware is a rubber made up of silicon and oxygen. It is safe for cooking. It is a better option than aluminum & stainless steel utensils because it won't scratch your pots and pans.
Are Silicone utensils recyclable?
- Silicone utensils are non-biodegradable, and non-recyclable.
Is it normal that newly bought silicone presents an undesired smell?
- It is completely normal for brand new silicone utensils to smell. The smell of silicone products is produced during the vulcanization and curing process. In the vulcanization process, additives are added to odorless silicone and some reactions may produce the smell. The smell is normal and can be easily removed using the following steps:
How to remove the smell from my newly bought silicone utensils?
- Leave silicone products in the open air and wait for the smell to disappear. It takes about 3-4 days for the odor to disappear
- To speed up the process: soak your silicone in 1:1 mixture of white vinegar and water And let sit for a while. Lemon is also helpful.
- If the smell continues, the most common way for removing the scents is through boiling. Most vulcanization reaction products can be burned off after boiling the silicone.
Why cooking utensils are provided with wooden handles?
- Cooking pots are provided with wooden or plastic handles because they are light and bad conductors of heat. This prevents the heat from the pan to transfer to our hand. Thus, we can hold the utensils comfortably
Will silicone utensils melt?
- Silicone cookware is heat-resistant, freezer safe, and oven safe. Silicone utensils have high heat resistance and will not melt when in contact with heat below 600 degrees Fahrenheit, such as when you're deep frying.
Are silicone utensils toxic?
- Due to its bonded composition, silicon is non-toxic. However, can become toxic if heated over 428 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 Celsius. Boiling water is 100 Celsius so it has to be extremely hot to pass the toxicity threshold. This explains why silicone sets are so popular today.